As the summer sunsets on the boating season, Okanagan boat owners are starting to make the necessary preparations for the winter season. This means that lift owners must take the boat out of the water and cover it.
Scheduling an appointment for a boat lift service is one of the most important steps that can be overlooked. If you also own a boat then you must hire a boat lift installation service through coastseawall.com/boat-lifts/.
These are the three main reasons that boat lift maintenance should be done annually, even after the end of the boating season.
1. Protects your boat from danger
Imagine if the cable on your lift breaks and your boat falls out of the water. Instead of lifting it safely, your boat tips sideways. This bumps the dock edge or lifts piling. It's possible for things to happen, even though we try to prevent them from happening.
You've put a lot of effort into maintaining your boat in top condition. To avoid potential damage, make sure you service the cradle supporting your boat.
2. Keeps your boat lift running smoothly and for a longer time
Boat lifts can become worn over time. The wear and tear can be caused by constant use and exposure to the elements. Regular servicing can help reduce wear and tear on boat lifts.
Routine maintenance visits may include the following:
- Inspection of all lifts, including piles and cables
- Hydraulic fluid replaced or topped up
- Grease & lubricant applied where necessary
3. Reduces the need for expensive repairs
Lifts and docks, just like your boat need to be serviced annually. It's better to get it fixed before it causes serious damage.
- Broken boat lift cables – The main engine of the lift, cables are susceptible to wear and tear. They require regular maintenance. A damaged cable can cause damage to other parts of the lift and boat, which could lead to costly repairs.
- Malfunctioning lift controls – The electrical components of a lift can become corroded, which can lead to a malfunction. It is important to detect problems early so that the whole electrical system can be repaired.
- Rust and corrosion – Boat lifts are constantly in contact with water, so the steel parts can rust or erode. The lift's life expectancy can be extended if the rust is caught early enough.
To protect your marine investment, you must make sure your boat lifts are annually serviced. We recommend booking your appointment for the fall or spring.